Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tennis, Some Practice Tips


10 years ago I was struck from behind by a vehicle at a high rate of speed, suffering a fractured tib-fib, and a fractured humerus.
Other minor injuries as well, the sum total of which, I could scarcely move for several days.
How you may be asking yourself, can this possibly evolve into a tennis lesson?
Elementary, my dear Watson.
Most tennis matches are won, not by clever and difficult shots.
They are won by persistence, and as my first tennis mentor said, by “Just getting the ball back.”
If you continually return the ball, inevitably your opponent will make an error.
There are many types of tennis players.
Pros, they hit balls every day. For hours.
Club players, they play once or twice a week, at the club.
Serious amateurs.
They play in tournaments on a regular basis, they are members of the USTA, to these players, to pros, and to club players, tennis, while exhilarating and enjoyable, is also serious.
Like a vocation that we love.
Like nursing or other health care vocations.
You want to get better.
For me, tennis is the reason I work out with weights and ride a bicycle.
These activities give me the ability to hit harder, to move faster.
They increase my endurance.

I knew that, after my accident, some parts of my game would be affected, so I worked on parts that I could.
You can sit on the edge of the bed and practice bouncing the ball off of the strings.
See if you can bounce it one hundred times.
Try to hit the ball in the sweet spot, near the top of the face, where you hear a nice solid sound.
Tilt the racket slightly and see if you can make the ball spin while bouncing it off of your racket.
This takes skill, try it!
Every time you hit a tennis ball, you improve, infinitesimally.
Get some adjustable dumbells, do sets of wrist curls, bicep curls, and reverse forearm curls.
Careful with the forearm curls, though.
If you over do it with these, you risk tendinitis.
If you have cable, subscribe to the tennis channel.
Have a friend or family member go to the library and check out books about tennis, biographies and instructional.
I'll have more tips along these lines soon.
Stay tuned, OK?

No comments:

The Chomsky Hoax

The Chomsky Hoax
Exposing the Dishonesty of Noam Chomsky